It’s time to announce the winner of our CSIROgram/RV Investigator competition!
The Marine National Facility’s RV Investigator is currently at sea discovering the secrets of the East Coast Current and will soon be studying the small eddies along the eastern Australian coastline between Port Macquarie and Newcastle, before returning to Sydney on the 19th June.
When in Sydney, the ship will be playing host to a number of VIPs: politicians, scientists and professors. But we think the most important people will be our #CSIROgram selfie winner.
As a reminder, the winner (and three friends) will enjoy an extensive tour of this floating laboratory; a facility that is closed to the public.
So without further ado, the winner is…
Wait. Hold up.
Before we announce the grand prize, we thought we would share our favourite entries. The ones didn’t quite make the cut. These five entries will receive a gift pack including Marine National Facility merchandise and a 3D crystal replica of the RV Investigator.
Sarah submitted a gorgeous re-imagining of an old War of the World’s poster.
Nicole’s two entries were like night and day. Or to be precise she took these selfies during the day and the night!
Using images sourced from our blog and beyond, Brian creatively spliced a number of incredible images to make something rather special.
Sydney certainly made for a stunning backdrop for the RV Investigator. Jackie captured the resplendent cityscape with the brightly lit ship in the foreground.
There is creative, then there is Johanna’s delightful entry. Using (we can only assume) cutting edge photo augmentation equipment, Johanna integrates her image seamlessly into a sweeping panorama of the Investigator’s berth at Garden Island.
But the overall winner of our competition is…
Instagramer Anna, from Sydney, captured this terrific shot of the RV Investigator at Grotto Point as the ship made its way into Sydney Harbour, before sharing it with us on Instagram. Though it might be a tiny speck on the horizon, we loved the creativity and timing of this particular #CSIROgram.
We look forward to hosting Anna in a few weeks time on the deck of the RV Investigator.
Thanks to all those who took the time to submit an entry.
When we got started way back in 1926, the telegram was one of the primary methods of communication. Almost a century on we’re still ‘graming’ but this time the medium is a little more… visual.
Yep, you guessed it: CSIRO got an Instagram account. If you are part of the Instagram community follow us @CSIROgram for a glimpse into our world of world-leading science.
We’ve already got a few pics up ready for you to like, and we’re even going to run a competition to celebrate (but more on that later).
We’re fortunate enough to see the marvels of science on a daily basis, we see the beauty of the Australian landscape – from the desert to the beach, the forest to the bush and all points in between. We see creatures great and infinitesimally small. We see incredible technology come to life, like advanced robotics, energy harvesting technologies and incredible ocean-faring vessels. Now we want to share this visual feast with you.
And to get things started, we’re running a competition.
Which side is her good side? The RV Investigator will be our selfie celeb when the vessel arrives in Sydney
Well, hello sailor
If you’re in the Sydney area this week, we want to see your best selfies with the Marine National Facility’s RV Investigator as it visits Sydney for the first time.
It’ll be coming through the Heads around 3pm to berth at Garden Island. Send us your best shots by using #CSIROgram for a chance to win a guided tour of the most impressive marine research vessel we’ve ever seen.
The crew of the RV Investigator have laid down the challenge. This selfie was taken while off the Victorian coast en route to Sydney. Can you do better? Image: L-R Ben Rae, Tegan Sime and Alan Martin.
Why would you set yourself up for ridicule, as you whip out the selfie stick and bunch together with friends and family awkwardly in public? Prizes of course.
The selfie we decide is the most interesting/special/amusing will win a tour on the RV Investigator when it’s back in Sydney on the 19th June, 2015. This is a rare opportunity, the ship isn’t open to the public and you would be one of the few people (who aren’t marine biologists) to set foot on these hallowed decks.
We also have merchandise galore to giveaway for honorable mentions and runners up – over 100 items in fact.
How do I win?
Step 1: Follow us on Instagram: @CSIROgram
Step 2: Find the RV Investigator in Sydney
Step 3: Take a picture of the vessel and upload it to Instagram using #CSIROgram. You will need to have a public profile so we can see your pictures. (If you aren’t on Instagram share your image on Facebook and Twitter– with the hashtag)
Step 4: Win prizes. Which prizes? These prizes.
Grand Prize: A tour for four onboard the Investigator on Friday 19th May, 2015
Five runner up prizes: Five winners will get a Crystal replica of the Investigator (Measurements: 5x5x8. AKA: not to scale).
Honorable mentions. RV Investigator Merch, including: Hat, Mug, Mouse pad, posters and an 8GB USB device
- Did I Win?: Winners will be chosen by CSIRO based on images uploaded to our social channels (Instagram, Twitter and Facebook) which include the hashtag: #CSIROgram. The image adjudged to be the most interesting, unique or humourous will be declared the winner.
- When and Where: The RV Investigator makes its way into Sydney passing the heads at approx. 3pm on Wednesday 13th May, 2015. The ship will be at Garden Island till 1800 Friday 15th May. That doesn’t give you a lot of time, but we are confident of some amazing images
- Be a Follower: You must be following one of our accounts to be considered (whether it be submitted via Instagram, Facebook or Twitter)
- Selfie sour-puss?: We want to see lots of selfies, but if you don’t feel comfortable being in the shot, we’re accepting any and all images of the Investigator – but you need to make it interesting
- Not on Instagram?: Shame on you! But we don’t mind, share your pics with us on Facebook and Twitter and we will include those in the competition, if you include #CSIROgram
- Be safe: The vessel will be docked at Garden Island won’t be accessible to the public. With this in mind we need to state that any image that is clearly taken from an unsafe or illegal location will not be permitted. We reserve the right to disallow any unsafe or dangerous images; be clever not reckless
- The Tour: The winner of the tour must be available to attend the tour on Friday 19th June, 2015 at 9 AM – you will have to make your own arrangements to get to the ship which will be berthed in Sydney Harbour
- Max. 4 people allowed to attend. All tour participants must be aged 13 or older
- Participants must wear closed-toe shoes and trousers are recommended
- No smoking, eating or drinking on board
- Tour participants won’t be able to carry anything in their arms – no bags, dogs, walking sticks, etc
- The tour is not recommended for people who suffer from claustrophobia
- Tours span 6 of the ship’s 11 levels, and may prove challenging for people with mobility issues. Please consider whether this tour is right for you, before entering the competition
- The tours are not transferable and must be taken on Friday 19th May, 2015 at 9AM
- Runner up and honorable mention prizes: There are 100 prizes to be given away – the exact combination given of prizes sent to the winners, will be determined after the competition has ended.